Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Thoughts on Privilege


I think that privilege is a very old concept that is dying - maybe not quite dying but it is disguised in various ways. A few decades ago the idea of privilege was more evident. It was talked about more amongst friends and more prominent in the work place, communities and in the media. Many of us don't think about privilege anymore because we don't have as many experiences as our parents or grandparents did to reference. I personally don't think I would know as much about privilege if I wasn't taught by my grandmother; who was a civil rights activist. This is mainly because our generation didn't have to worry about things like segregation every single day. Privilege is not a topic that is brought up in school or at the dinner table anymore. But that doesn't mean that it does not still exist. Watching the Tim Wise video and hearing the examples that he gave made me realize how privilege is disguised today.

I am currently having an issue with figuring out why I don't see privilege personally. I can't figure out how it became disguised to me. Some say that not seeing privilege is a form of privilege. I agree with this largely, except for when it comes to me. I feel that I have worked hard for everything that I have accomplished in my life. I have always held a great job, I have received a number of scholarships, I have been given awards and rewards and held numerous leadership positions. I don't think that this is a privilege - it is the result of hard work and dedication. Now that I have typed this out and gone over it in my head I am realizing that I probably had to work twice as hard as the individuals that have accomplished the same things that I have.

The media examples that I have seen display privilege are white males holding all of the late night network talk-show host positions. I do think that society still believes in the one-drop rule. Mostly because if you have one drop of African blood in you, it shows, and you are immediately put in a box.

I agree that it is our responsibility to stay informed about things and build knowledge everyday. I feel that it is important for us to pass on this knowledge to our children and everyone else we come in contact with. This is the only way we are going to change stereotypes and other common misconceptions about the world.

2 comments:

  1. "Privilege is not a topic that is brought up in school or at the dinner table anymore."

    I think this is exactly right. I think a lot of the little "privileges" occurring in today's society are a result of old discriminations which have transformed into acceptable behavior that people don't point out as blatant racism.

    Good blog!

    -Chris Lusk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just clarifying that from watching Wise and reading McIntosh, you suggest it was something mostly experienced years ago?

    ReplyDelete