Monday, March 30, 2009

Local News

The seven consecutive days that I had to spend watching the news was torture and I'm glad that it's over. The local news in Oklahoma City is quite boring, so when there is a crime story, a big fuss is made over it. I didn't have the wonderful opportunity of seeing a news story that they interviewed people in the community over and that's the only fun part for me. I can at least get a laugh.

The crime stories that have been broadcast over the last seven days included bank robbery, high speed chases, shaken baby syndrome and murder. YES MURDER! But that one didn't happen here. I used this assignment as an opportunity to watch news channels that I don't normally tune in to, and their recent broadcasts only reinforced my bad attitude toward their bias.

I personally feel that Channel 4 news (whatever their letters are) is the most boring and conservative news in the state of Oklahoma. I stopped watching them years ago mostly because of the boring weather man, but also because the station's delivery seemed very close-minded. This station consistently sends their one black reporter to cover stories in black neighborhoods. The channel 4 website is dry too.

Channel 9 news is better, but not so much. Since they are directly linked with the Oklahoman, our conservative newspaper, their delivery has it's typical wholesome values bias as well. Their newsroom has become more diverse over the years. The station recently took on two minority reporters and they now have a total of four - that I never see. They still send their black reporters to cover stories related to black people - mostly crime.

The only news station that can hold my attention for an entire broadcast is KOCO 5 news. They seem to be the least close-minded on topics that are controversial in nature. The few shows that I watched this week were reported well and I did not noticed any stereotypes in the reporting. This may be due to their largely diverse news team and executive staff. The crime stories that were covered seemed fairly accurate and provided all the information that I looked for as a community member trying to hear the news.

This experience was turned out to be what I expected. There were not too many surprises that I got as a person who doesn't watch much local news. I still have my cynical attitude toward it though.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the news channels, and since the entire state of Oklahoma is conservative I would assume that the news stations would be. The Tulsa stations are a little bit better, that is where I grew up, but still nonetheless conservative. I personally have never met someone who has never seen a minority, but to put it the way you have in that the only minorities they have seen is on the news is a horrible thought to think. Minorities are mostly shown in crime stories, so why would they think otherwise if that is all they have seen? Man...we need to do some major cleaning with our media outlets. And I hope we start now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of the points a valid about the content on news broadcasts in Oklahoma. A lot of times the packages and VOSOTS don't explain a clear impact on the community. Therefore, much of the community my not feel connected to the news because they feel little effect from the actual story. This is a problem with many media organizations. If the directed demographic sees no impact, then why continue to watch the broadcast?

    The content controllers must realize the community they service. News reporters have a public service position to the community in order to create a public forum. These things are essential in order to understand our democracy. News must explain current events to its audience. Presenting this information with all the facts and with an objective interpretation is the job of each reporter. Stories need to be chosen by the amount of impact each one has on the community. News gives people their sense of community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad is the main anchor for News Channel 4 and I know that they are actually not as conservative as others. Maybe you got the stations mixed up, and it kind of makes me sad to hear that you think their delivery is dry and boring.

    I would like to hear an example of what you think is close-minded about News Channel 4. Also, The Channel Four Web site is the only one that contains live newscasts which can be really helpful.

    I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wish you would back up yours with concrete information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby: you probably aren't going to read my reply since this is only a requirement for class, but I must refute nonetheless. I don't publish anything in my blog or form an opinion about anything that has not been researched. The entire point of this assignment was to research and report what I found in 300 words. That is what I did. To include the "concrete information" that you requested would take a 300 page dissertation.

    When I go to your blog page and look at a photo of you - with your bandana, cowboy boots, and big leather belt, it kinda makes me think of the way Channel 4 news represents Oklahomans. It is no surprise to me that this is your family station and the one you grew up on. It represents YOU but not ME. As a minority Oklahoman looking for news, I am not going to stop on KFOR because they do not deliver news that represents me, my community or any other underrepresented OKC community in the best light.

    If a person came to OK that had never visited before and watched channel 4 news, they would think small-town things about a place with big city potential. This station does not take the initiative to be a proper representation of the entirety of the population at all. They would be great as the City of Moore news.

    As a final note, Channel 4 is a station that has ONE black reporter who put in work for several years before he finally got a spot as the reporter they send to cover the crime stories, ice storms and of course - any story about black people. So before you grace my blog page with your biased opinion, maybe YOU should research, come up with concrete information and then tell your dad he is in a position where he can make changes in the way individuals see the state of Oklahoma and News Channel 4. That's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete